|1613 Donelson Pkwy Dover TN 37058 931-232-9225
|DIXIELAND CAMPSITES FULL RV HOOKUP
LAND BETWEEN THE LAKES HISTORY
TVA recognized the geographical uniqueness of the Kentucky Lakes Area when Lake Barkley was
created in the 1960s. This led to the creation of the Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area.
The first campground, Rushing Creek Campground, opened in 1964. Over the next four years, TVA would
be relocating thousands of individuals from the 170,000-acre area to other places.
This meant abolishing the town of Golden Pond, which in 1960 had about 200 residents. Golden Pond
was a thriving community located on US 68 in the middle of LBL. The town was abolished officially in
1969 and people were moved away. Now, all that remains of Golden Pond is a couple of roads in LBL. It
should be noted that the LBL Visitor's Center and other facilities list themselves in Golden Pond, but they
are not in the actual old town.
Throughout LBL you will find all sorts of old home sites, old cemeteries, roads, trails, and historical
attractions such as the Great Western Furnace and the Center Furnace. For more information on LBL's
history, visit the Golden Pond Visitor's Center on US 68.